Tuesday, January 17, 2006

Brokeback Mountain

Last night I read aloud to Tiger Annie Proulx’s shortstory, “Brokeback Mountain,” on which the movie is based. I wasn’t sure what Tiger would think about it – she didn’t really have any interest in seeing the movie beforehand, and I don’t know if she’s any more interested in seeing it now that she’s heard the story – but she was in tears by the time I finished reading.

The story is profoundly moving, whatever you might think about the forbidden love that it details. It speaks to the loneliness and emptiness that you sometimes feel, even in the company of the one you’re the closest to. It contrasts Ennis’s decision to pass up a life that he desperately wants – a decision initially borne of his sense of duty to each man’s wife and children as much as from his fear for his and Jack’s safety – with Jack’s feeling that some things simply have to be worth the risk and hurt that they seem certain to bring on. And it speaks to the (perhaps inevitable) tragedy and regrets that result from Ennis’s decision.

Tiger and I spoke for some time after I finished the story. We agreed that one of the amazing things about it is that it takes characters that are in so many ways unsympathetic and makes you yearn for them to find some degree of happiness or satisfaction, then breaks your heart with the reality that that kind of completion simply wasn’t meant to be. We disagreed, however, with which character ended up being the most sympathetic. She related to Jack, who showed his willingness to risk everything if it meant being with the person he loved, only to have his dreams shut down by Ennis. I, on the other hand, related to Ennis, who sorely wished that things could work out differently, but felt that the circumstances and realities of their situation would never allow them to be together and happy.

Today I purchased the movie’s soundtrack off of iTunes, and as I’ve been working in the office today, I’ve listened to “The Maker Makes,” by Rufus Wainwright, several times. Its melancholy tone captures almost perfectly the feelings of any person who has ever felt themselves to be the butt of one of God’s jokes because of a love discovered, then found to be unattainable. These are the lyrics:

“One more chain I break
To get me closer to you.
One more chain does the Maker make
To keep me from bustin’ through.

One more notch I scratch
To keep me thinkin’ of you.
One more notch does the Maker make
Upon my face so blue.

Get along, little doggies...
Get along, little doggies...

One more smile I fake,
And try my best to be glad.
One more smile does the Maker make
Because he knows I’m sad.

Oh Lord, how I know...
Oh Lord, how I see...
That only can the Maker make
A happy man of me.

Get along, little doggies...
Get along, little doggies...
Get along.”

Pick a question and answer in the comments… Have you seen Brokeback Mountain? If so, what did you expect and what was your reaction? If not, is there any reason in particular that you don’t want to? Have you ever passed up the possibility of being with someone you loved because you just didn’t see how it could work? Have you ever pursued the possibility of love, but later come to regret it? Have you ever felt like the words in that song?

7 Comments:

At 10:02 AM, Blogger Shayna Willis said...

Yes, on all counts. You know how I feel about the movie. I also see Ennis as the more sympathetic character although his integrity didn't stop him from taking time out of his marriage for some high-altitude you know what. So which was better in the long run?

 
At 7:47 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I don't want to see BROKEBACK MOUNTAIN because it looks depressing as all get out. Sorry, but I get my tragedy dose from my clients.

 
At 10:37 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I haven't seen Brokeback, but I must say I think the whole debate is comically ridiculous. When preachers come out denouncing it, it just heightens the interest, and more people go see it. When liberals denounce the preachers for their intolerant views towards intolerance, they defeat their argument because they are being intolerant of the preacher's views. Frankly, I find it entertaining

 
At 8:50 AM, Blogger crazykarl7 said...

Haven't seen it.

I like sword fights with real swords..

 
At 12:51 PM, Blogger Shayna Willis said...

Carl, I'm tapping my head right now. Shame on you!

 
At 8:39 PM, Blogger Moments In Motherhood said...

I haven't seen the movie yet, but I really want to (finding the time to see any movies would be nice).
I think that, while some people are upset about the sympathy being garnered for the plight of two gay men, the truth is that many of us fall in love with the wrong or inconvenient person at some point in our lives. There are any number of reasons why loving someone is wrong (though I am not ready to admit that one sin is greater than another - ie making homosexuality worse than not observing the Sabbath or taking G-d's name in vain). Before we judge whether the two men depicted in the movie are any more wrong we should examine the fact that we do feel sympathy for thier situation. We feel that sympathy because we can identify with their emotions, even if many people cannot identify with thier situation.

Secondly, love is one of those wonderful and frustrating things. Because it is the tool that G-d uses to bring us together in marriage we have to believe that it is inspired by G-d and in some way directed by Him. How then can we love those who aren't "Mr. Right?" How can we love them so much that making the right decision can feel so wrong? How do we know the difference between a person whose path we cross so that we might grow, personally, and the person whose path we cross so that we might help them to grow?
That G-d is so much greater than anything I can understand helps me deal with the feeling that I will never know the answers to these questions. All we can do is try.

 
At 12:08 AM, Blogger Pelagius said...

Rachel! I'm so thrilled that you've found my blog!

For those of you who don't know, Rachel is one of my little sister's good friends from back in Huntsville. I used to babysit her and her little brother, and now she's married and he's a Marine. It makes me feel really old to think about that, but I'm tremendously proud of the adults that they've become.

I'll post a link to your blog so that folks can check it out.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home