Tuesday, December 27, 2005

Bananas: Pro or Con?

I recently came across this dialogue, which I thought was hillarious...
--------------------------

Debater #1 says:
Pick a topic.

Debater #2 says:
Bananas.

Debater #1 says:
Pro or con?

Debater #2 says:
I'm pro.

Debater #1 says:
Why?

Debater #2 says:
Bananas are good things. Attractive in the kitchen and tasty with a bowl of Cheerios or ice cream. Plus, they're a versatile fruit. Portable, with a unique wrapper that you can leave on until you're ready to partake.

Debater #1 says:
But that wrapper can cause numerous accidents, not to mention disposal problems. And they're not terribly portable, considering how easily they bruise. In addition, they've got those stringy things, turn brown in a question of days, and are likely to create feelings of male sexual inadequacy.

Debater #2 says:
Stringy things are a matter of inconvenience. They don't get brown if you eat 'em. As for the inadequacy thing... ummm, speak for yourself.

Debater #1 says:
Not like you can just throw them in your knapsack. What’s the fun of a delicate fruit? Takes all the excitement out of consumption.

Debater #2 says:
I think it's really a question of how rough you expect to handle your banana. Generally, I find that I can haul them around just about anywhere with little trouble or negative side effect. Besides, the dangers of banana peels are grossly exaggerated, unless you're smoking them or something. They're just not that slippery. And remember, with no bananas there would be no banana pudding... no banana splits... no happy monkeys... These are all wonderful things, which should definitely be borne in mind.

Debater #1 says:
Banana pudding is highly overrated.

Debater #2 says:
You've obviously never had my grandmother's banana pudding.

Debater #1 says:
And really, the best part of a banana split isn't the banana. That’s what you add so you can pretend it's healthy.

Debater #2 says:
I'd concede that the banana is not the crowning glory of the banana split, but neither would the delicacy be the same without it. So, in summation, I am a huge banana fan, and I fully support their further propagation and consumption.

Debater #1 says:
Highly overrated fruit. Should definitely be approached with caution.

Debater #2 says:
I must also add that scientists are figuring out how to genetically engineer bananas to contain vaccines that can be distributed to kids in poor nations. If you're anti-banana, you're in favor of poor kids getting malaria.

Debater #1 says:
Well in that case I’ll have to concede. I do recall hearing something to that effect. You win.

Debater #2 says:
HOORAY FOR BANANAS! If any fruit has to make me doubt my sexual adequacy, I'm glad it's you, banana!
----------------------------

So the question for you, gentle reader, is where you fall in this crucial debate. I look forward to hearing your thoughts.

3 Comments:

At 10:23 AM, Blogger crazykarl7 said...

I'm all about bananas. Especially my wife's banana bread..

 
At 7:18 AM, Blogger Anne said...

anti-banana!

I can stomach the taste but I can't stomach them... they make me violently ill. Wish I could eat them as they're full of potassium.

 
At 1:17 PM, Blogger david said...

I'm pro banana, but not in fruit salad and not as a candy flavor.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home