Saturday, June 24, 2006

Hope

Hope: Desire accompanied by an expectation of or a belief in fulfillment.

I've been thinking a lot about Hope these days.
In many ways, this particular virtue is one that I have excised from my own religious life. Several years ago I came to the conclusion that if I was truly going to trust in God, to believe that He would guide me on the pathways that would ultimately be best and most useful, I should choose not to ask God for my own desires. I came to this conclusion based on a handful of ideas: 1) God already knows the things that we want, 2) God also knows what would be best for us, and 3) sometimes God grants us our desires, even knowing that they would not be best for us. By choosing not to ask for what I want, I reasoned, I am truly demonstrating trust that God will not lead me wrong. If I don't get what I want, that just means that God could best use me in different circumstances. So in my prayers, my request is for God to give me peace, patience, wisdom, and strength to deal properly with the circumstances in which I find myself. The end result was that I just don't develop Hope in a religious context, because I don't allow myself to have that expectation or belief that my desires will be fulfilled.
My paradigm is being seriously challenged. In the past three weeks, a conviction has been laid on my heart -- a conviction that I believe has come from God -- and I find myself filled with both an overwhelming desire for one particular outcome and the expectation that God will bring it to fruition. But even as that Hope has arisen, I'm presented with a predicament, because while I truly do believe that the conviction itself is from God, the path to that outcome is difficult and unclear and, despite my firm belief that this is the direction in which I'm called to go, there remains the possibility that I'm somehow misinterpreting God's guidance.
For once, however, I find myself feeling that even if this conviction is not really something that God has laid on my heart, I'm not willing to just abandon my desire. Where normally I would not have let myself really invest in what I wanted, here I have. And knowing that God does sometimes grant our desires even when He's not the one driving them, I really, really want to pray for this all to work out. But how can I do that while still remaining true to my commitment to trust simply in God?

1 Comments:

At 1:47 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I don't allow myself to have that expectation or belief that my desires will be fulfilled.


Why shouldn't they be fulfilled? Doesn't God promise that if we delight ourselves in the Lord, He will give us the desires of our heart? Is His Word unreliable?

But there is that pesky premise that we delight ourselves in the Lord. Isn't it obvious what our desires will be if we are delighting ourselves in the Lord? Is it not a hunger for God that will be our desire if we are delighting ourselves in Him?

God promises to reveal Himself to us if we come to Him on His terms. He says this over and over: Matthew 5:8, James 4:8, Revelation 3:20, Hebrews 11:6, II Chronicles 16:9

You cannot rely on your own reasoning ("I came to this conclusion based on a handful of ideas...") and expect God to interact with you in a way you've designed.

There is no evidence that God gives us desires we have that are not for Him. We each have a choice to approach God on His terms, or to live without Him. There really isn't any middle ground.

The thrill is that once you truly experience a genuine connection with God, you won't want anything else.

Whom have I in Heaven, but Thee? And there is none upon earth my soul desireth besides Thee. My flesh and my heart faileth, yet now God is the strength of my heart and my portion forever. Psalm 73:25-26

 

Post a Comment

<< Home