Wednesday, October 05, 2005

The Get Lucky Hat

Some of the Unusual Suspects have already heard this story, but since Sweetbaby James mentioned the Get Lucky Hat in a comment on the previous post, I thought that it might be a good opportunity to show a picture.

I spent the evening of St. Patrick's Day 1998 at a bar in Austin, Texas. While there I came the closest to correctly guessing what the bartender had for breakfast, which entitled me to claim as my own a large green foam Killian's top hat. The words "Get Lucky" were written in green letters a big yellow shamrock on the side of the hat. It immediately became one of my prize possessions. At Apartment TenTwentyFive, you'd get to wear the Get Lucky Hat if you got lip after a date. Now that I am the sole remaining bachelor among the Quad, I am the final steward of the Get Lucky Hat. If and when I ever get hitched, the roommates and I plan to retire the hat with the highest honors, burning it and then burying its ashes.

6 Comments:

At 8:35 AM, Blogger crazykarl7 said...

So at what point does the great lucky hat have it's farewell? Bachelor party or right after the I do's.

 
At 8:53 AM, Blogger Pelagius said...

We haven't settled on the details yet because there hasn't been any pressing reason to do so. I imagine that we'll probably make the burnination the last event of the bachelor party weekend.

 
At 12:28 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dave,

May the hat burn soon in a glorious flame that will light the night sky.

 
At 11:19 AM, Blogger crazykarl7 said...

Let's not get hastey. Get some lip first. :-)

 
At 6:02 PM, Blogger Jacque said...

I have to say it Dave, that hat doesn't look like it's been worn much.

 
At 9:45 PM, Blogger Pelagius said...

Now that I think of it, that picture (circa 2001) may actually have been the last time I had reason to wear the hat...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home