Thursday, September 29, 2005

The Long Haul

So I'm sitting here in my office, reading about the Senate's confirmation of John Roberts as the new Chief Justice of the United States Supreme Court, when it hits me - this man will be in charge of the Court for the vast majority (if not the entirety) of my legal career. At 50 years old, he is the youngest Chief Justice in 200 years. Life expectancies being what they are these days, we can reasonably expect that (barring some unfortunate turn of events) he'll continue to serve for at least thirty years, and even a forty-year term would not be unthinkable. That's absolutely stunning, when you really ponder it.

So what kind of issues do you think Chief Justice Roberts will have to deal with in those years? I'll award a barbeque sandwich at Shayna's birthday party to the person who comes up with the most outlandish, ridiculous legal matter that Roberts will be called on to judge.

5 Comments:

At 4:20 PM, Blogger McCoy family said...

oh, man, I give up. I could never top that.

 
At 12:57 PM, Blogger Pelagius said...

Carl has confided that his idea was derived from a movie, so if someone else wants to submit their idea for this challenge they could be eating free barbeque tomorrow...

 
At 1:42 PM, Blogger McCoy family said...

ah, no way! I am so disappointed. Carl, I was all ready to believe that you were really that creative...well that blows my day...heehee

 
At 6:22 PM, Blogger Jacque said...

Alien rights....I'm big, bad, and blue and I have the right to come to earth and abduct people. Give me that sandwich.

 
At 11:35 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

How about whether the refugee earthworms whose habitat was forcibly taken under imminent domain for the building of the low wall around the Washington monument have a cause of action against Osama Bin Laden for inducing the government to take such measures. (yes, I was bored enough to come up with that on my own)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home