Sunday, February 03, 2008

Super Bowl XLII

If you didn't see it, you missed out. Tonight's game was one of the best Super Bowls ever!

I have to say, I was kind of pulling for the Patriots. Aside from the fact that I felt I owed it to Tom Brady, whose skills led my fantasy football team to more points scored than any other team in my league, I really respect the way the Patriots organization handles personnel decisions. I think that this year's New England team is probably the most talented, most dominant team I've ever seen. And I kind of would've liked to see that set in concrete by a victory tonight.

But dadgum if those Giants didn't put together a fantastic gameplan. New York's defensive line was spectacular, dominating a Patriots offensive line that had kept Brady virtually untouched all season. And the Giants offense proved to be clutch when it had to be, with Eli Manning calmly orchestrating two fourth quarter touchdown drives when the pressure was on. Even though Manning played well when the chips were down, I was disappointed that the MVP award went to him instead of Justin Tuck, the defensive lineman who had six tackles, two sacks, a forced fumble, and repeatedly forced Brady to pull himself up off the turf, even when he'd managed to get a pass away. If Tuck didn't get the award, I thought it should have gone to David Tyree, who caught the game's first touchdown and whose unbelievable reception on the Giant's game-winning drive is the only reason the team was in position to win.

I gotta say, though, the game tonight is the way that Super Bowls should be. Hard-fought, well-played, and in doubt down to the last seconds. Like I said... if you didn't see it, you missed out.

1 Comments:

At 12:23 AM, Blogger crazykarl7 said...

I was in the same boat as you. I was pulling for the patsies mostely because I wanted to see history made.

At some point they needed to stop with the 5 receiver sets and keep a TE in to block. The giants front 7 was owning the pats line.

I also agree that the MVP should have gone to Tuck. I didn't think Manning did very much. He made 2 great plays in getting out of a players grasp and then making a play downfield, but if Tuck wasn't constantly on Brady I think the patriots would have gotten into their groove sooner.

The best thing about this superbowl was that now Eli is the "successful" manning. How crazy is the class of 2004 turning out to be? Roethlisburger, Eli, and Rivers.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home