Sunday, February 24, 2008

The Oscars

I wanted to briefly chime in on this year's edition of the Oscars...

As much as I like Jon Stewart, I thought the show itself was a huge disappointment. The scripted stuff just wasn't funny at all and, while I have heard that Enchanted is actually a pretty good movie, I was completely underwhelmed by the three (really? Three?) tunes from that movie that were nominated for best song. I haven't yet seen Once, but was very happy that its song won that category and I'm now looking forward to watching it.

I was glad to see No Country for Old Men (and its writers, directors, and Javier Bardem) win Best Picture and those other awards. While I haven't seen as many movies this year as I normally watch, NCFOM was far and away the best I saw. Of course, I'm kind of a sucker for dark, introspective movies (I thought Children of Men and Pan's Labyrinth were last year's best films--deserving of far more attention than they received), but NCFOM was just haunting, tense, and philosophical through and through, in addition to being beautifully filmed and acted. It's a movie that I'll definitely own when it comes out on Blu-ray.

Did anyone else watch the show? How did your favorites do?

1 Comments:

At 1:29 AM, Blogger Odgie said...

I haven't made it through an Oscar broadcast ever.

I haven't seen any of the nominees for Best Picture, but I do love me some Coen Bros. I am looking forward to seeing NCFOM, but Christine has no interest whatsoever.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home