Thursday, July 07, 2005

Foo Fighters = Greatness

One of the best things about getting home from vacation was that Amazon.com had delivered my copy of the new Foo Fighters album, In Your Honor. While I don't think the two-CD set quite measures up to the brilliance of earlier albums, it's still pretty dang impressive. I'm partial to the second disk, comprised entirely of acoustic songs. In particular I can't quit listening to the second track, "What If I Do?"

I'd say that most adults have been confronted with the question of whether they really love someone or not when they didn't have a clear answer. The second verse, coupled with the achinginly beautiful chorus, lays it out perfectly:

It's my turn, this solo burn - so throw me in the fire
Trophies earned and lessons learned, my wicked little lies
We can pave new roads with cold creek stones, wind them through the pines
Should I stay or should I go alone... I cannot decide

What if I do love? What if I don't?
I'd have to lose everything just to find you.
What if I do love? What if I don't?
I'd have to lose everything just to find you.

As I was listening to this song, it also occurred to me that we sometimes face the same feelings when it comes to God. There's a certain comfort that accompanies freedom to act only according to your own desires, without having to consider the effect on someone to whom you've committed yourself. But when we realize that we love someone - whether it's God or a significant other - it can be scary, because we know that however great the adventure will be to stick with them, it will necessarily require some level of personal sacrifice. Our task is to decide if that sacrifice is worth the love.

1 Comments:

At 4:23 PM, Blogger Hannah said...

I seem to be getting confronted with this idea a lot lately. Recklessly abandoning myself to God's great adventure for my life. It's a scary thought, sacrificing your will for someone else...even if that someone is God.

Thanks for sharing Dave. I needed to hear this...again. :) And welcome back.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home